Do you suffer from unexplained weight loss? Do you experience chest pain? You might be having lung cancer symptoms! Lung cancer can lead to shortness of breath. The cancer from lungs can spread to other parts of the body. Lung cancer can be treated if you know its symptoms. What are the symptoms of lung cancer? Read on…
What is Lung Cancer?
Lung cancer is formation of cancer in the lungs. Cancer is a condition wherein the cells become abnormal and multiply.
You know what?
Lung cancer is responsible for most cancer related deaths across the world.
What are the Symptoms of Lung Cancer?
The symptoms of lung cancer are as follows:
- Chronic cough with blood
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Unexplained weight loss
- Inflammation in the neck or face
- Pain in the hand
- Excessive tiredness
- Severe headaches
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Diseases like bronchitis or pneumonia that recur
What Increases the Risk of Lung Cancer?
The following factors increase the risk of lung cancer:
- Smoking: Smoking is the leading cause for lung cancer. 4 out of 5 cases of lung cancer are due to smoking. If a person quits smoking, his risk will decrease eventually.
You know what?
Cigarette contains 4000 chemicals out of which 69 cause cancer.
- Second-hand smoke: Even if you don’t smoke, if you go for second-hand smoke your risk for lung cancer increases. People who are married to smokers have a 20 to 30% risk of developing lung cancer when compared to spouses of non-smokers.
- Chemicals: People who work in environments where there is exposure of chemicals like arsenic, chromium, and nickel etc have an increased risk of developing lung cancer. Asbestos also increases the risk of lung cancer.
- Radon gas: People who are exposed to radon gas are at increased risk of developing lung cancer. It accounts for 12% of the lung cancer deaths.
- Air Pollution: Pollution from the cars, factories etc can increase the risk of lung cancer. Across the world, air pollution accounts for 2,23,000 deaths due to lung cancer.
- Family history: People who have a family member suffering from lung cancer have higher risk of developing lung cancer.
What happens when you Ignore Lung Cancer?
When lung cancer is not treated in the initial stages, it can lead to serious diseases. The serious diseases are as follows:
- Coughing up large amounts of blood: Since lung cancer causes bleeding in airways, a person with lung cancer can cough up blood.
- Shortness of breath: If lung cancer blocks the major airways, people with lung cancer can suffer from shortness of breath.
- Pleural effusion: A person with lung cancer can suffer from fluid accumulation in the chest.
- Metastasis: Cancer from lungs can spread to other parts of the body.
If you experience any of the symptoms of lung cancer, consult pulmonologist online at eVaidya now! Sign up and subscribe for consultation plans now! At eVaidya all the doctors are verified and authenticated by the Medical Council of India (MCI). eVaidya offers an user satisfaction rate of 98.3%.
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.