Do you suffer from severe sudden back pain? Does that pain worsen when you stand or walk? You might be showing the symptoms of spinal fracture! Spinal fracture can lead to the compression of the abdominal organs, collapsed lungs etc. To treat spinal fractures, you should know its symptoms. What are the symptoms? Read on…
A spinal fracture is a fracture that occurs in the bones of the spinal column.
Spinal fractures are also caused due to compression of one bone against the other. Such fractures are called as vertebral compression fractures.
What are the symptoms of spinal fractures?
The symptoms of spinal fractures are as follows:
- Sudden onset of severe back pain
- Pain that worsens when the person stands or walks
- Pain when the person bends or twists
- Loss of height
- Curved spine
What causes spinal fractures?
In most of the cases, spinal fractures occur due to osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is a disease in which the bones become weak and brittle.
The other causes of spinal fractures are as follows:
- Long-term use of corticosteroids
What increases the risk of spinal fractures?
Women who are above the age of 50 are prone to spinal fractures. It is observed that by the age of 80 about 40% of the women develop a spinal fracture.
The below factors increase the risk of spinal fractures:
- Age: As a person grows old, he is more likely to have spinal fractures. This happens especially when the person is suffering from osteoporosis. In osteoporosis the breakdown of bone occurs at much greater pace than the building of new bone. Hence the body should put in a great effort for it to remain straight. When it fails to do so, spinal fractures occur.
- Lifestyle: When elderly adults constantly bend, they can put stress on their weak spines. This bending will put lots of pressure on the back. This pressure can lead to spinal fractures.
- Smoking: Smoking can also increase the risk of spinal fractures. Smoking leads to decreased lung function. Due to this smokers have less physical endurance. Since bone health depends on physical endurance, smokers are at an increased risk of suffering from fractures.
In women smoking increases estrogen loss that results in loss of bone density which in turn leads to osteoporosis. This can lead to fractures.
- Alcohol consumption: 2-3 typical drinks in a day leads to increase in bone loss. Hence consuming alcohol in large amounts can lead to fractures.
What happens when spinal fractures are ignored?
When a person ignores spinal fractures he can suffer from the following conditions:
- Collapsed lung
- Compression of abdominal organs
- Bowel obstruction
- Muscle weakness
- Worsening of osteoporosis disease
When left untreated spinal fractures can make sitting and standing uncomfortable. Hence if you show any symptoms of spinal fractures, consult a spine surgeon online on eVaidya now!
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.