Do you suffer from decreased urine output? Do you suffer from headaches? You might be showing symptoms of acute kidney failure! Acute kidney failure can lead to heart failure and can also lead to death. You can treat acute kidney failure when you know its symptoms. What are its symptoms? Read on…
Kidneys filter wastes from the body. Sometimes kidneys may fail performing this function which leads to acute kidney failure.
You know what?
Everyday kidneys filter 50 gallons of blood. If the kidneys don’t work well, people can develop anaemia. So it is essential for the kidneys to work well.
When the drainage tubes of kidneys become blocked and wastes can’t leave the body through urine, the kidneys suffer from problems. One such kidney problem is acute kidney failure.
What is acute kidney failure?
Acute kidney failure is a condition in which kidneys fail to filter waste products from blood.
When the kidneys fail to filter blood, high levels of waste can accumulate in the body which may cause great damage to the body.
What are the symptoms of acute kidney failure?
The symptoms of acute kidney failure are as follows:
- Excessive tiredness
- Decreased urine output
- Irregularities in heartbeat
If acute kidney failure is occurring due to loss of water from body, the person might feel thirsty.
What causes of acute kidney failure?
The following conditions cause acute kidney failure:
- Blood loss
- Fluid loss
- Loss of water in the body
- Heart disease
- Medicines like aspirin, ibuprofen etc
- Low blood pressure
- Liver cirrhosis
- Consumption of alcohol, cocaine etc.
- Inflammation of blood vessels
- High cholesterol
Some diseases block the passage of urine out of the body. The diseases are as follows:
- Colon cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Kidney stones
- Enlarged prostate gland
What increases the risk of acute kidney failure?
The risk of acute kidney failure increases due to the following conditions:
- Old age
- Blockage of blood vessels in arms and legs
- High blood pressure
- Heart failure
- Liver problems
- Kidney problems
What happens when you ignore acute kidney failure?
When a person neglects acute kidney failure, he will suffer from the following conditions:
- Excess fluid formation: When the kidneys fail to filter wastes from the body, excess fluid will form in the chest that leads to shortness of breath.
- Cardiovascular complications: When the kidneys fail to filter wastes from the body, the wastes and toxins remain in the body, this will lead to arrhythmia. Also sodium retention causes heart failure.
- Muscle weakness: When the kidneys fail to filter wastes from the body, there will be changes in body’s fluids and electrolytes. This leads to muscle weakness. One should watch out for elevated levels of potassium.
- Permanent kidney damage: Sometimes acute kidney failure can cause permanent damage to the kidneys. To repair permanent damage, one might need dialysis.
- Death: It is essential for the kidney to filter wastes, if this doesn’t happen for a long time, it might result in death.
If you suffer from any of the symptoms of acute kidney failure, consult a nephrologist online at eVaidya now!
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.