Vaginitis can lead to dissatisfaction of you and your partner. You can treat sexual problems when you know its symptoms. Keep reading to know symptoms, risk and treatment of vaginitis…
Vaginitis is an infection that leads to the inflammation of the vagina.
The infection can be caused due to bacteria, yeast and virus or by irritation led by chemicals present in creams, sprays etc. Vaginitis can also occur when organisms are passed between sexual partners.
The various types of vaginitis are as follows.
- Yeast infections
- Bacterial vaginosis
- Non-infectious vaginitis
What are the symptoms?
- Foul smelling odor from vagina
- Abnormal vaginal discharge
- Itching or irritation around vagina
- Pain while urinating
- Pain during intercourse
- Vaginal spotting
What increases your risk?
The following factors increase the risk of vaginitis:
- Sexual activity
- Cleaning vagina with water or other mixture of fluids
- Hormonal variations associated with pregnancy, menopause etc.
- Uncontrolled diabetes
- Usage of intrauterine devices
How is it treated?
The treatment of vaginitis depends on its type.
- Yeast infections: They are treated with the help of antifungal cream. They can also be treated by introducing a drug in the vagina, this drug will melt and it will be absorbed by the blood. The medicines are Monistat, Gyne-Lotrimin and Vagistat. Yeast infections can be treated with Diflucan too.
- Bacterial vaginosis: It can be treated with the help of Flagyl tablets, MetroGel and Cleocin cream.
- Trichomoniasis: To treat this, the doctor can suggest Flagyl or Tindamax tablets.
- Non-infectious vaginitis: To treat this, the doctor will check if new soap, laundry detergent, or sanitary napkins are causing it. Thereafter he/she can recommend a cream to cure it.
Vaginitis can make you feel uncomfortable during sexual activities. If you experience any of the above symptoms, consult a gynaecologist online at eVaidya now!
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.