Have you reached your menopause? You have to follow some healthcare tips to lead a healthy life. Menopause is a crucial phase. Since the woman faces hormonal fluctuations, menopause makes the woman more susceptible to diseases. What are the health care tips a woman should follow after reaching menopause? Read on…
Menopause brings many changes in a woman’s body. The woman has to bring some changes in her lifestyle to manage her life after menopause. Menopause is a phase in a woman’s life which marks the end of her menstrual cycles. It has said to have occurred when a woman has not had her periods for a year.
Generally women reach menopause at the age of 51. However some women reach menopause in their 40’s and some women reach menopause in their late 50’s. In medical terms, a woman reaches menopause when her ovaries stop producing estrogen and progesterone. During the onset of menopause a woman can experience irregular periods, hot flashes, vaginal dryness, troubled sleeping, mood changes, night sweats etc.
Since there are changes in the hormone levels and in the body, the woman might have increased risk of developing certain diseases. However incorporating healthy lifestyle changes can keep you away from diseases.
Healthcare tips to be followed during menopause
A woman should follow certain health care tips after she reaches menopause. The healthcare tips are as follows:
- Quit smoking: If you haven’t given up smoking, menopause is the right time to quit smoking. Postmenopausal women who currently smoke have low bone mineral density and increased risk of hip fracture when compared to postmenopausal women who don’t smoke. Also smoking can increase the risk of heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, cancer etc.
- Regular exercise: Regular weight bearing exercises such as walking, running etc is essential in postmenopausal women. It reduces the risk of osteoporotic fractures. Regular exercise reduces stress and improves one’s mood.
- Healthy diet: Consume a diet that is rich in colourful fruits and vegetables which are high in fibre and low in fats. The diet should include calcium and vitamin D. Vitamin D is necessary to absorb calcium. Calcium and vitamin D can reduce the bone loss in postmenopausal women.
- Wear layered clothes: Wear layered clothes to keep yourself cool. This will prevent you from hot flashes. Also cut down on spicy foods, alcohol etc that increase heat inside the body.
- Go for checkups: Women should go for a mammogram annually after they reach their forties to get checked for breast cancer. Also regularly get yourself checked up for colon cancer. According to National Cancer Institute most skin cancer cases develop after the age of 50. Hence you should wear ample of sunscreen when you go outdoors.
- Practice safe sex: Women think that since they have reached their menopause they needn’t worry about sexually transmitted diseases. This is just a myth. The truth is a woman regardless of her age is susceptible to sexually transmitted diseases. Though menopause marks the end of reproductive life of a woman, you still need to take your birth control pills. There are still minute chances of getting pregnant.
Menopause can make a huge change in your life and it can increase the risk of developing various types of cancers, osteoporosis etc. For more information, consult a gynaecologist online at eVaidya now!
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.