Do you suffer from obesity? Do you suffer from diabetes? You should start having a low-carb diet. A low-carb diet will decrease the appetite; it will help in lowering the insulin levels etc. What are the foods in low-carb diet? What are the other benefits of low-carb diet? Read on…
The body requires carbohydrates to produce energy. When a person consumes carbohydrates, the body converts them into glucose which is the body’s main source for energy.
Carbohydrates are found in many foods. Carbohydrates found in processed foods like cakes, white bread, cookies etc are bad for health. The processed foods have more calories and fewer nutrients. When a person consumes processed foods, the blood sugar level will rise quickly. Processed foods make people overweight that can increase the risk of diabetes, heart disease etc.
Hence one should limit their intake of processed foods.
What is a low-carb diet?
A low-carb diet consists of foods that contain the best carbohydrates. Low-carb diet includes vegetables, fruits, whole grains etc. They contain lots of fibre. They take lots of time to break down into glucose. They provide the body with nutrients along with calories. Hence they are good for the health.
Foods that come under low-carb diet
There are many foods that come under low-carb diet. The foods are as follows:
What are the benefits of low-carb diet?
The benefits of low-carb diet are as follows:
- Decreases appetite: It is found that people who consume low-carb diet end up eating fewer calories. That is low-carb diet leads to weight loss.
- Weight loss: People who consume a diet less in carbohydrates can lose weight. This is because the low carb diet helps in getting rid of excess water from the body. Low-carb diets lower the sodium levels in the body, the kidneys start shedding the sodium which promotes weight loss.
- Improves blood sugar level: Since low-carb foods take more time to break down, less glucose will be produced over a period of time when compared to the glucose produced from high-carb foods over the same period of time. This will keep the blood sugar levels normal.
- Blood pressure becomes normal: High blood pressure can lead to cardiovascular diseases like stroke, heart disease etc. Low carb diets will lower the blood pressure which will help you live longer.
- Triglycerides become normal: Triglycerides accumulate in the body when a person consumes diets rich in carbohydrates. High triglyceride levels can lead to obesity, diabetes etc. Low-carb diet will lower the levels of triglycerides.
- Good cholesterol increases: Higher are the levels of good cholesterol; lower is the risk of developing a heart disease. Low-carb diets help in increasing the good cholesterol levels (HDL).
- Lowers insulin levels: Higher levels of insulin lead to coronary heart disease. Consuming a low-fibre diet will actually reduce the amount of insulin in the body.
Processed foods can lead to obesity which in turn can lead to diabetes, heart disease etc. If you are obese, you should start having a low-carb diet. Want to have a Customized Diet Chart for yourself? consult a dietitian online at eVaidya.com!
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.