Did your pregnancy strip show positive result? If You are pregnant, the body undergoes several changes during pregnancy. Hence it’s essential to take good care during pregnancy. Good care is essential for the healthy development of the baby. Which precautions should be followed for a healthy pregnancy? Read on…
Pregnancy is a God’s gift. A woman should take good care for a healthy pregnancy. During pregnancy a woman’s body undergoes several changes. The changes occur due to the hormonal fluctuations, increase in blood volume etc.
The period of pregnancy is very crucial. Good care should be taken to ensure the safety of the baby.
Which precautions should be taken during pregnancy?
If you are pregnant you should take the following precautions:
- Take your vitamins: You should take at least 400 mg of folic acid since folic acid prevents the neural defects in the developing foetus. Also you should take a multi-vitamin tablet that contains calcium and iron. Consume a healthy diet consisting of colourful fruits and vegetables, whole grains etc.
- Consume lots of water: During pregnancy the blood volume increases by 33%. Hence you should consume at least 8-10 glasses of water daily. Water is also necessary for the body to get accustomed to the increasing hormone levels. Consuming water will reduce constipation and fatigue.
- Give up harmful habits: You should not smoke or consume alcohol during pregnancy. These habits can lead to serious complications. Overconsumption of alcohol can lead to foetal alcohol syndrome whereas smoking causes sudden infant death syndrome. It can also lead to premature delivery and miscarriage.
- Cut down on caffeine: Caffeine present in coffee, tea, coca colas, cocoa, chocolate etc is not good during pregnancy. If you have been consuming caffeine in large quantities, slowly decrease your intake. Sudden decrease can lead to headache, nausea etc.
- Avoid seafood: Although seafood and certain types of fish contain essential fats, choose the type of fish or seafood wisely since they might contain high levels of mercury. Avoid swordfish, tuna and salmon.
- Avoid hot baths: Hot baths can cause overheating of the belly that can cause problems in the baby’s development. Hence avoid hot baths during pregnancy.
- Consult your doctor before taking herbs and medicines: When your pregnancy is confirmed, get all the medicines you were using to the doctor. The doctor will tell you which medicines are to be continued and which are to be discontinued. Medicines like ibuprofen should be avoided. Certain herbs like passionflower, saw palmetto, pennyroyal and black cohosh cause miscarriage, premature birth and painful contractions. Hence avoid these herbs.
- Avoid artificial food additives: You should avoid artificial food colourings generally used in Indian sweets and curries. Also avoid monosodium glutamate (MSG) or ajinomoto used in Chinese dishes. They can affect the development of the baby.
Essential care should be taken during pregnancy. If you have any more questions relating to pregnancy, consult a gynaecologist online at eVaidya now!
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.