What is acupressure? Acupressure is an ancient art of healing by using the fingers to press the healing points, which stimulate the body’s immunity and self-curative capacity. Derived from the word acupuncture, acupressure was developed in Asia 5,000 years ago in China. It is an ancient form of Chinese medicine that invigorates the pressure points along the meridians of the body. Acupressure Therapy is effective in boosting the immune system, control stress and curing certain ailments. It helps to release tension, increase circulation, reduce pain, and develop vibrant health.
What is acupressure therapy?
“Acupressure is a therapy developed over 5,000 years ago as an important aspect of Asian, especially Chinese, medicine. It uses precise finger placement and pressure over specific points along the body. These points follow specific channels, known as meridians – the same channels used in acupuncture.” (Dr. Weil) Acupressure is both an energy tonic and a massage therapy. It is used to treat various illnesses. Some of them are:
Acupressure treatment for asthma: Asthma results as a blockage of lungs or spleen meridian. Acupressure therapy is a natural way to get relief from the symptoms of asthma that works by unblocking the energy path.
Acupressure treatment for back pain: Back pain is one of the most common ailments in middle aged and old people. Back pain may be triggered by nerves, discs, muscles and arthritis. Acupressure therapy can help to reduce back pain. Acupressure helps the tense muscles to relax. The procedure involves application of pressure to the back, thereby relieving the pressure that the contracted muscles might have been applying on the skeletal structure of the back.
Acupressure treatment for better immunity: Acupressure strengthens our body’s natural resistance power. Working with acupressure points K 27, LI 11, L 7, St 36, CV 6 and CV 17 can help you get better immunity naturally.
Acupressure treatment for diabetes: Diabetes is a chronic disease caused by high level of concentrated sugar in blood. Acupressure therapy can help the patients to control the sugar levels in blood if it is used in combination with a proper diet and exercise. The process involves the use of fingertip pressure on certain pressure points in the body to promote the internal healing process which in turn improves health and wellbeing of a person.
Acupressure treatment for headache and migraine: Headaches and migraines are the most common ailments experienced by human beings. Migraine headaches affect millions of people and in rare cases it can be so severe that it may require a trip to the emergency room for relief. Acupressure therapy helps in relieving all types of pain, including migraines. It improves circulation, reduces tension and relieves stress by releasing the body’s natural pain killers (endorphins).
Acupressure treatment for menstrual disorders: Acupressure therapy helps to relieve menstrual cramps, pain, headaches, bloating and physical tension. Pressing and massaging certain acupressure points like P 6, P 9, LI 4, B 60 and LV 2 provides relief from menstrual cramps.
Acupressure treatment for hypertension: Acupressure therapy is one of the most effective ways to treat hypertension. It helps you to get relief from high blood pressure. Controlled acupressure is applied to the specific pressure points that help to control high blood pressure and bring it down to a normal level.
Acupressure treatment for hypothyroidism: Acupressure therapy plays an important role in the treatment of diseases like thyroid. Certain acupressure points stimulate the pituitary functions. They help to release excess energy trapped in our body and restore the easy flow of qi to the thyroid gland. This procedure helps in balancing both hyperthyroid and hypothyroid conditions.
Acupressure treatment for kidney dysfunction: Acupressure therapy helps in curing few kidney related diseases. Acupressure helps to eject toxins created in the body by pressing certain acupressure points of kidney present in hands and legs and also helps the kidney to recover.
Acupressure treatment for obesity: Acupressure is a widely popular natural therapy for fat loss. Most commonly used acupressure points for spleen is 6 or Sp 6, for stomach is 36 or St 36 and for large intestine is 11 or Li 11. These points help to control weight and appetite. The appetite control points are positioned behind the ears at the point where the ear lobes connect with the ears.
Acupressure treatment for infertility: Infertility issues may not always be physiological, certain physical conditions might be preventing you from conceiving. There are several reasons such as the rhythm of life, your lifestyle, diet, lack of exercises and excessive stress. Acupressure therapy for infertility helps you to restore the balance. Applying acupressure on specific acupressure points stimulates blood circulation to the reproductive organs and oxygenates the tissues. Often a blockage caused by presence of toxins disturbs the hormonal balance within the body, which in turn leads to poor ovulation cycles. Acupressure helps to balance the hormonal dysfunction by normalizing energy flow.
Acupressure treatment for anxiety: Acupressure is an effective natural way to treat anxiety attacks. It helps to manage anxiety or may act as a complementary therapy along with medication. It is a completely natural way of healing, with no side effects and it yields prompt results. Acupressure stimulates the free flow of energy in the body by applying pressure to certain acupressure points like the hands, and to other parts of the body such as the feet and elbows, and helps in dealing with anxiety and stress.
Acupressure health benefits
Acupressure is an offshoot of traditional Chinese medicine that is practiced widely all over the world. Apart from treating our internal organs, acupressure has several health benefits. Some acupressure health benefits are as follows:
- Over all well-being: Acupressure unblocks the blocked meridians which manifests into diseases and helps the body to function optimally.
- Helps faster healing: Acupressure helps to release muscular tension, promote circulation of blood, and enhance the body’s capability to heal which in turn helps you heal faster.
- Relieves pain: Acupressure helps in relieving body pain by releasing the blockages in the meridians. It also increases the blood circulation to the area, giving you pain relief.
- Makes you calmer: Stimulating the pressure points helps your mind to function better. Acupressure unblocks all blocked meridians, makes your mind calm so that body becomes more capable of handling stress.
- Makes you better at sex: According to acupressure texts, an imbalance of “qi “energy in our body causes lack of libido. “Qi” is also required for maintenance of kidney and heart. With acupuncture therapy, the proper working order of these systems is maintained, which in turn helps your sex life immensely.
- Tones facial muscles: Cosmetic acupressure helps to tone the muscles of the face by stimulating the blood flow and improving the production of collagen. It helps to tone your face and suppress the signs of ageing.
- Release muscular tension: Acupressure helps to relieve muscular tension by stimulating the activities of nerves. It also helps to control stress and relaxes the entire body by releasing the trapped energy.
- Promotes proper circulation of blood: Acupressure helps in promoting blood circulation. Applying pressure to certain acupressure points activates and opens up blood flow in the blood vessels. This in turn helps all body organs to regenerate and perform optimally.
- Reduces the need for OTC drugs: Acupressure is the best remedy for common ailments like a headache, sinusitis and cold. It reduces the need for over-the-counter medicines.
Acupressure is a harmless and effective treatment for a variety of disorders. It can also provide relief from body pains, fortifies our reproductive system, detoxifies the body for greater health and beauty, and tones facial and back muscles. Moreover, it aids to reduce the use of medication and has no side-effects. Thus, next time you are troubled with stress, back pains and migraines, visit an acupressure therapist before taking medications. Not only will it help to cure you, it will also help to rejuvenate your mind and body.
All the treatments – medicines, injections and vaccines are for general information of the reader. Please consult a doctor and get a formal prescription before taking any medicines, supplements and injections.
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.