Experiencing burning or itching sensation in your vagina? Do you get greenish-yellow discharge from your vagina? You are suffering from vaginitis! When left untreated, it can lead to sexually transmitted diseases. In pregnant women, it can cause premature births. Keep reading to know the different kinds of vaginitis…
What is vaginitis?
Vaginitis is a group of medical conditions that causes inflammation of the vagina.
It can be caused due to imbalance in the vaginal bacteria or reduced levels of estrogen after menopause. Yeast, viruses, creams, sprays or clothing that causes irritation can also lead to vaginitis. It can also occur when organisms are passed between sexual partners.
What are the various types?
Various types of vaginitis are as follows:
- Candida albicans: It is also known as yeast infection. It is caused by fungi named Candida which are generally present in small numbers in the mouth and digestive tract of men and women.
The symptoms are thick, white vaginal discharge, itchy, red vulva and vagina.Candida albicans is not transmitted through sexual activity.
- Bacterial vaginosis: It is the most common type of vaginal infection found in women of reproductive age. When the vaginal balance is upset, the bacteria overgrow which causes bacterial vaginosis.
The symptoms are white or discoloured discharge, foul vaginal odor and pain during urination.
Bacterial vaginosis is not present in people having sexual intercourse but they are generally found in women who are sexually active. Though it’s not a reason to worry, it can increase a woman’s chance of developing sexually transmitted diseases. It can also increase the risk of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) once the woman has undergone abortion and hysterectomy.
- Trichomoniasis: It is caused by a single-celled organism that affects vagina.
Symptoms are frothy, greenish-yellow discharge, foul smelling odor, itchy, sore vagina, burning sensation while urinating etc. The symptoms can become worse after menstrual period.
- Chlamydia vaginitis: Chlamydia is most common with women who have multiple sexual partners. When left untreated, it can cause problems with pregnancy.
Most women suffering from this disease don’t show symptoms for chlamydia. In some women, vaginal discharge occurs. The other symptoms are light bleeding after intercourse and pain in the lower abdomen and pelvis.
- Viral vaginitis: Vaginitis can be caused due to herpes simplex virus and human papillomavirus (HPV).
The symptoms of herpes are sores on vulva or vagina. The symptoms of HPV are white or gray warts on vagina, rectum, vulva or groin, they can also be in pink or purple colour.
- Non-infectious vaginitis: It occurs due to an allergic reaction caused by vaginal sprays, spermicidal products, perfumed soaps, detergents, fabric softeners etc.
The symptoms include vaginal discharge, itching and burning sensation. Non-infectious disease can also occur due to decrease in hormones after menopause or removal of ovaries. Symptoms include vaginal dryness, pain after sexual intercourse, burning and itching sensation in vagina.
Infections in vagina can keep you away from sexual activity. Hence, if you experience any of the symptoms of vaginitis, consult a gynaecologist online at eVaidya now!
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.