Do you have a dry mouth? Dry mouth can be a warning sign for diabetes! Teeth should be protected from bacteria and damage. One should follow the dental hygiene tips. Also problems in mouth can be warning signs of serious diseases. What are the dental hygiene tips and warning signs? Read on…
White teeth showcase personality. Everyone wants to have a good set of teeth. Some habits damage the teeth and make it vulnerable to diseases. Poor oral hygiene leads to a variety of diseases like gum disease, infection, bone loss, heart disease, stroke etc.
A person can protect the teeth from germs and bacteria by following some simple dental hygiene tips.
8 dental hygiene tips for clean teeth
- Brush properly: To keep teeth clean, one should brush the outer surfaces of the teeth using back-and-forth and up-and-down motion. Then he should clean the inside surfaces of the teeth using back-and-forth and up-and-down motion. This should be done gently to avoid bleeding. Next one should brush the surface of the tongue and roof of mouth to remove bacteria. This will ensure good breath.
- Floss after you brush: Flossing helps in removing the food particles and other detrimental particles stuck in between the teeth. It is essential to floss at least once in a day.
- Avoid tobacco: Tobacco has negative effects on the teeth. It can lead to oral cancer and periodontal complications. Also after people smoke, they tend to have candies, tea etc to get rid of the bad breath. This will do double damage on their teeth.
- Cut down on sodas, coffee and alcohol: These drinks contain corn syrup and food dye which discolour the teeth. Hence choose milk that that will strengthen teeth. Also consume water that will hydrate the body.
- Get your calcium and vitamins: Calcium is essential for good teeth and bones. The body uses Vitamin D to absorb calcium. Vitamin B complex is important to protect the gums and teeth from cracking and bleeding. Also copper, zinc, iron etc are necessary for good oral hygiene. Include milk, yoghurt, broccoli, cheese etc in your diet for a healthy dental hygiene.
- Use mouthwash: Mouthwash is used to kill and maintain bacteria in the mouth. Hence mouthwash can strengthen the teeth and help maintain good breath.
- Clean your tongue: Bacteria on the tongue can lead to bad breath and other dental problems. Hence use a professional tongue cleaner to remove bacteria on the tongue.
- Visit dentist if you experience pain: Visit the dentist if you experience pain in the teeth or jaw. This should be done immediately to avoid major problems.
Problems in the oral cavity can be warning signs of certain diseases. When a person experiences these warning signs, he should immediately rush to the doctor.
Warning signs of underlying diseases
- Flat worn teeth with headache can indicate stress.
- Cracking, crumbling teeth can be a sign of gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- Sores in the mouth that don’t heal soon can indicate oral cancer.
- Dry mouth can signal diabetes.
Problems in teeth can lead to heart disease, stroke etc. Hence follow the dental hygiene tips and check out for the warning signs. If you experience any of the warning signs, consult a dentist online at eVaidya now!
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.