Experiencing pain while moving eyes? Do you have headaches? If you are experiencing this condition, you might be having double vision. Left untreated, it can cause more damage to the cornea. Keep reading to know symptoms, causes, diagnosis and treatment of the condition.
Diplopia is a condition in which the person views two images for a single object. It is simply known as double vision.
What are the symptoms?
The symptoms are:
- Misalignment of the eyes
- Pain surrounding the eyes
- Droopy eyes
What causes double vision?
The following problems cause this condition:
Cornea problems: Corneal scars, cornea infections like herpes zoster, shingles, and dryness in cornea can distort the light entering the eyes which causes diplopia.
Lens problems: Cataracts can lead to distorted images.
Muscle problems: Weak muscles can lead to this condition. Muscle problems can be caused due to following diseases:
- Myasthenia gravis: It is an autoimmune illness in which the person experiences weakness in the voluntary muscles of the body.
- Graves’ disease: This condition affects the muscles in the eyes. It causes vertical diplopia which makes the person view one image on top of another.
Nerve problems: The following conditions can cause damage to the nerves:
- Multiple sclerosis: It is a condition that affects the nerves present in brain and spinal cord. If the nerves of eyes get damaged, the person develops double vision.
- Guillain-Barre syndrome: It is a condition which leads to gradual weakness. This can lead to double vision.
- Diabetes: It can cause damage to the nerves which can in turn cause double vision.
Brain problems: These problems in brain can cause diplopia:
- Pressure in the brain caused by trauma or bleeding
- Brain tumors
How is it diagnosed?
The doctor will firstly conduct a physical exam. He might ask the following questions:
- When did this disease start?
- Did you injure your head?
- Does this disease worsen at night?
- Do you experience symptoms of this disease?
- Do you tilt your head to one side?
The doctor can carry blood tests, computed tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to diagnose the condition.
How is it treated?
People can wear eye patch and prism glasses to reduce double vision. If this condition is caused by weak muscles, a surgery might be required.
Double vision can be effectively treated when it is cured in the early stages. If you experience any of the above symptoms, consult an ophthalmologist online at eVaidya now!
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.