Do you suffer from sensitivity to light, smell and sounds? Do you suffer from severe headaches? You might be showing signs of migraine! Migraine is a problem that leads to stroke. It can also lead to migraine seizures. You can treat migraine when you know its symptoms. What are the symptoms of migraine? Read on…
Migraine is a condition wherein a person suffers from moderate to severe headaches accompanied with symptoms like nausea, vomiting etc.Migraines can cause pain for a period of hours to days.
What are the symptoms of Migraine?
There are 4 phases to a migraine. The phases are as follows:
1. Prodrome phase: Prodrome phase is experienced by 60% of the people who go through migraines. Prodrome phase exists 2 hours to 2 days before the aura phase.
The symptoms of prodrome phase are as follows:
- Mood swings
- Food cravings
- Neck stiffness
- Aura phase: Aura can last for a few minutes to 60 minutes.
The symptoms of aura phase are as follows:
- Vision loss
- Visual problems such as seeing bright spots, shapes
- Needle sensation in the arms and legs
- Speech problems
- Pain phase: When migraine is left untreated, pain phase occurs. Migraines can last from 4 to 72 hours.
The symptoms of pain phase are as follows:
- Throbbing pain in one side or both sides of the head
- Sensitivity to light
- Sensitivity to smells
- Sensitivity to sound
- Extreme tiredness
- Postdrome phase: A migraine can last for days. The effect of migraine after the main headache has ended is called postdrome phase.
The symptoms of postdrome phase are as follows:
- Mood swings
- Memory problems
- Gastrointestinal problems
Some people feel euphoric in the postdrome phase.
What increases the risk of migraines?
The below factors increase the risk of migraine:
- Family history: A person can develop migraine if one or both of his parents suffer from migraine.
- Gender: Women are 3 times more likely to have migraines when compared to men.
- Hormonal changes: A woman is more likely to suffer from migraine just before or after the onset of her menstrual cycles.
What happens when you ignore migraines?
When a person ignores migraines, he might suffer from the below complications:
- Status migrainosus: If the migraine lasts for more than 72 hours, the condition is called status migrainosus.
- Persistent aura without infarction: Generally the aura phase goes off when a person gets relieved from migraine. If the aura phase prolongs, then the person can get a stroke.
- Migrainous infarction: In migrainous infarction, a person in aura phase while suffering from migraine can suffer from a blood clot.
- Migraine seizure: A migraine seizure can follow a migraine with aura.
When left untreated, migraine can lead to serious complications. To know more about migraine, consult a neurologist online now at eVaidya!
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.