Lychee is a pink coloured, rough skin fruit that contains sweet, juicy flesh. The oval shaped fruit contains wide range of nutrients. Read on to find out its health benefits…
Originated from China, it is usually found in summer. A 100 g of lychee contains just 66 calories. Coming to the nutrients, it is packed with vitamin C, B6, riboflavin, folate, copper, potassium, magnesium and manganese, which provide great health benefits.
It contains fiber and antioxidants called polyphenol and oligonol. Oligonol reduces deep fat, post-exercise exhaustion, facial lines etc. It increases the stamina. This fruit doesn’t contain saturated fats and cholesterol.
It prevents various health conditions:
- Cancer: Flavones, quercitin and kaempferol present in lychee prevents the formation of cancer cells.
- Heart disease: Lychee has antioxidant vitamin C which lowers the blood pressure. Since it is rich in fiber content, it prevents the formation of fat; this in turn will promote cardiovascular health. Consumption of this fruit will result in the increase of good cholesterol and decrease of bad cholesterol. This will reduce the chances of heart attack, stroke and hypertension. Potassium present in this fruit is also great for the heart.
- Digestion and bowel movements: Lychee contains pectin and dietary fiber which are important for healthy bowel movement. Water content in this fruit also helps in preventing constipation. Healthy bowel movements are necessary to rule out diseases like pile and colon cancer.
- Bones: Lychee contains a wide range of nutrients including phosphorus, manganese, zinc, copper and magnesium, which strengthen bones. It boosts the effectiveness of vitamin D, which in turn increases the absorption of calcium. This is necessary to maintain strong bones.
- Stress: Lychee is rich in potassium which helps in maintaining the blood pressure normal. It is recommended to people having high blood pressure since it has less sodium.
- Immunity: Vitamin C is lost in the form of body sweat, stool and urine. A 100 g of this fruit contains 71.5 mg of vitamin C. Hence, this fruit is a good source of antioxidant which supports the immune system. Lychee is great to rule out cough, cold and flu.
- Blood circulation: Lychee is rich in oligonol which improves blood circulation by relaxing blood vessels. Oligonol reduces platelet aggregation which regulates blood circulation.
- Anemia: This fruit is packed with minerals like iron, folate, copper, manganese and magnesium, which play an important role in the production of red blood cells. Also this fruit contains vitamin C which helps the body in absorption of iron.
- Free radicals: This fruit contains vitamin C which is used to fight free radicals that cause acne, pimple and blemishes. Antioxidants present in lychee keeps the skin glowing.
Since lychee gives many health benefits make sure you include it in your diet. For more information, consult a dietician online at eVaidya now!
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.