Are you diabetic? Do you also suffer from nerve damage? You know what? You might have to get your leg removed if you ignore nerve damage! Nerve damage is a small problem that can create big problems in your life. Hence take good care of your nerves. How? Read on…
You know what?
Diabetes can damage your nerves. Damaged nerves can cause several complications like loss of limbs, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections, digestive problems, increased or decreased sweating etc.
Firstly, why do nerves get damaged?
When you have diabetes, you might have high blood sugar. When you have high blood sugar, your nerves will not be able to transmit signals properly. If you have high blood sugar for a long time, your nerve fibers get damaged that causes diabetic neuropathy.
What will you experience when your nerves get damaged?
When your nerves get damaged you will experience the some symptoms. Now depending on the nerve damage in various parts of your body you will experience different symptoms.
If you experience the following symptoms in your feet and legs, it might indicate nerve damage. In rare cases you might experience the symptoms in arms, abdomen and back.
- Tingling sensation
- Numbness which may become permanent
- Burning sensation especially in the evenings
If you experience the following symptoms in your heart, lungs, sex organs, bladder, stomach, intestines or eyes, it might indicate nerve damage.
- Uncontrolled diarrhea
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Increased or decreased sweating
- Urinary tract infections
- Erectile dysfunction in men
- Sexual problems in women
If you experience the following symptoms in thighs, hips, buttocks or legs it might indicate nerve damage.
- Difficulty rising from sitting position
- Severe pain in your hip and thigh or buttock
- Weight loss
POINTS TO REMEMBER TO PREVENT NERVE DAMAGE
You have to remember the following points to prevent nerve damage.
- When you have high blood pressure and diabetes, your blood vessels will get damaged and your blood flow will get reduced. Hence try to keep your blood pressure under control.
- You should eat a balanced diet that consists of right quantities of vegetables, fruits and whole grains. Avoid foods like banana, candy, raisins, French fries, white bread etc.
- You should exercise for 30 minutes daily, since exercising will improve your blood flow and it will protect your heart. If you have severe neuropathy and decreased sensation in your legs, your doctor might recommend you some non-weight bearing activities like bicycling and swimming.
- Smoking will reduce the amount of oxygen in your blood. If you have diabetes and if you smoke, you are more likely to die of heart attack or stroke. You are more likely to develop circulation problems in your feet too. Hence quit smoking.
When your nerves get damaged you might have to cut-off your limb. So if you experience any of the symptoms mentioned above then immediately consult a diabetologist online at eVaidya. You can ask your problem through “Quick Consultation”.
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.