Do you consume excessive amounts of alcohol? You might be unknowingly causing harm to your body! Overconsumption of alcohol can do irreversible damage to your body. It can make you unconscious and make you prone to accidents. It mainly affects the liver. What are the other ill effects of alcohol? Read on…
Alcohol when consumed in less quantity does good to the health. But when consumed in excess quantities, it can do harm to one’s health. People consume alcohol to release tension; they might drink under the influence of their friends and family. People consume alcohol when they are in isolation. This type of situation is mostly seen among the senior citizens. People consume alcohol when they want to disassociate from the reality.
How does alcohol affect the body?
When a person consumes alcohol in excess quantities over long period of time, the following body parts get affected:
- Brain: Over consumption of alcohol can lead to memory loss, blackouts etc. It can also result in permanent brain damage. It can also affect the behaviour of individuals.
- Cancer: Consumption of alcohol is the second leading cause for cancer of mouth and throat. Eventually drinking alcohol can lead to the cancer of liver.
- Heart: Consumption of alcohol can lead to high blood pressure, stroke and heart attacks. If you drink alcohol in excess quantities over a long period of time, it can lead to death.
- Lungs: People who consume lots of alcohol suffer from collapsed lungs, they can develop pneumonia.
- Liver: Over consumption of alcohol can lead to fat deposits in the liver. This can lead to alcoholic hepatitis which in turn can lead to liver failure and death. This can lead to liver cirrhosis and liver cancer.
- Stomach: Over consumption of alcohol can lead to internal bleeding, stomach ulcers and stomach cancer.
- Pancreas: If a person drinks alcohol for a long period of time he can suffer from inflammation of pancreas which can show symptoms such as vomiting, fever, weight loss etc. This can be life threatening.
- Intestine: Over consumption of alcohol can lead to ulcers and cancer of the colon.
- Kidneys: If a person drinks excessive amounts of alcohol, it can lead to chronic kidney disease.
- Fertility: Over consumption of alcohol can lead to lowered sex drive and infertility in men. In women, over consumption of alcohol leads to infertility. It can lead to pregnancy problems.
- Bones: If a person consumes too much of alcohol, it can lead to weak bones which can lead to osteoporosis.
- Weight gain: People who consume alcohol can become fat.
- Skin: When a person drinks alcohol in excess quantities, his skin can become red and blotchy.
- Sexual health: Over consumption of alcohol can lead to unconsciousness. This can lead to unplanned pregnancy.
- Mental health: Alcohol leads to various mental problems like depression, anxiety, personality disorders etc.
- Immune system: The people who drink often develop a weaker immune system. A weaker immune system can make a person more likely to develop diseases like pneumonia and tuberculosis.
Over consumption of alcohol can eventually lead to death. If you have any more queries regarding alcohol, consult a family doctor online at eVaidya now!
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.