Are you suffering of back pain from many days? You might be having a spinal tumor! A spinal tumor should be treated immediately, else it can spread to many other parts like breast, lungs etc. To treat spinal tumor immediately, you should know the symptoms of spinal tumor. What are they? Read on…
Tumors in the spinal cord can be harmful for your health. If this tumor is not treated immediately, it can spread to various parts of your body. Hence its necessary to treat spinal tumors immediately? How? You should know the symptoms of spinal tumor.
A spinal tumor is a growth of cells in the spinal cord. The growth can be either cancerous or noncancerous in form.Spinal tumors can occur inside the spinal cord. They can occur in the membranes covering the spinal cord. They can also occur between the meninges and bones of the spine.
The tumor can affect various parts of the spinal cord. The tumor can affect blood vessels, meninges, nerve roots, bones of the spine, spinal cord cells etc.The tumor can also spread to various other parts like breasts, prostate, lungs etc.
The exact cause of spinal tumor is not known. However spinal tumors might occur due to defective genes. Spinal tumors might occur due to the following diseases:
- Neurofibromatosis 2: It is a disorder characterized by the growth of noncancerous tumors in the nervous system.
- von Hippel-Lindau disease: It is an inherited disorder that causes multiple tumors of cancerous and noncancerous type in the central nervous system.
Tumors in the spinal cord can spread to various parts of your body. Hence spinal tumors should be treated in the initial stages itself. How? You can treat the spinal tumor when you know the symptoms of the spinal tumor.
What are the symptoms of spinal tumors?
The symptoms of the spinal tumor depend on several factors like location, type of tumor, etc. Tumors that are only in your spinal cord will progress slowly over weeks and years but the tumors that are spreading to other sites from your spinal cord often progress quickly.
Tumors present in the spinal cord might show symptoms over large portions of the body. Tumors that are outside the spinal cord will grow for a long time before causing nerve damage.
When you have spinal tumor, you might show one or a combination of the following symptoms:
- Back pain in middle or lower back area which gets worse when you lie down
- Back pain that gets worse when you cough or strain or sneeze
- Back pain that extends upto hip, leg, feet or arms or other parts of the body
- Loss of sensation in knee or ankle with or without shooting pain in the leg
- Cold sensation in hands or legs or in any other part of the body
- Difficulty in walking that might lead to falls
- Inability to feel pain or heat
- Loss of bowel control
- Inability to control urine from leaking
- Muscle cramps, spasms etc.
If the above symptoms are persistent and progressive or if they get worse by night, you should immediately consult a neurosurgeon online at eVaidya. Just sign up and subscribe for a consultation plan. eVaidya has an user satisfaction rate of 98.3%.
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.