Do you suffer from drainage of fluid from the ear? Do you suffer from pain in your ear? You might be suffering from ear infection. An ear infection can lead to hearing loss. The infection from the ear can spread to brain. You can treat ear infection when you know its symptoms. What are its symptoms? Read on…
Ear is a delicate organ of the human body. It can be prone to infections. Ear allows a person to listen to different sounds. Laughter or cries are impossible to experience without ears. Hence they play an important role in the body.
Since the ear, nose and throat are connected, when a person is affected by cold, flu or allergy, his ear also gets affected. The middle ear gets filled with bacteria and virus. This causes ear infections.
What are the symptoms of ear infection?
The symptoms of ear infection can be discussed in 2 categories. They are:
- In children
- In adults
1. In children
The symptoms of ear infection in children are as follows:
- Ear pain when lying down
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Pulling feeling in the ear
- Very irritable
- Crying more than the usual
- High fever
- Drainage of fluid from ear
2. In adults
The symptoms of ear infection in adults are as follows:
- Drainage of fluid from ear
- Ear pain
- Reduced hearing
What increases the risk of ear infections?
The factors that increase the risk of ear infections are as follows:
- Age: Children who fall in the age group of 6 months and 2 years are more likely to develop ear infections since their ear won’t get developed and they will have poor immune system.
- Baby feeding: Babies who are allowed to lie down and drink from bottles are at higher risk of developing ear infection than babies who are breast feed.
- Environment: Children who are being bought up in groups have higher chances of developing ear infections than the children who stay at home. If 1 child in a group has a common cold, there is a chance of the other children in the group being affected.
- Seasonal fluctuations: People are more likely to develop ear infections when the weather is cold. Ear infections are also related to pollen counts.
- Air pollution: Cigarette smoke also increases the risk of ear infections. High levels of air pollution can also lead to ear infections.
What happens when you ignore ear infections?
When a person ignores ear infections, the fluid might build up in his ears. This fluid build up will cause serious diseases. The serious diseases are as follows:
- Spread of infection: When ear infections are not treated immediately, the infection from the ear can spread to the brain.
- Tearing of eardrum: The infection of the ear can tear the eardrum.
- Hearing loss: When the ear infection is not treated immediately, it can lead to hearing loss.
- Delay in social interaction activities: When the ear infections are not treated immediately, it can create problems in social interaction. The person might not be able to speak and behave in the expected way.
If you suffer from any of the above symptoms of ear infection which can be dangerous and risky, consult an ENT specialist online at eVaidya now!
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.