Do you suffer from vomiting or fever after having food from restaurants? The restaurant might be unsafe for you. Foodborne illnesses are caused due to contaminated food and beverages. It can lead to food poisoning and paralysis. To treat food borne illness, you should know its symptoms. What are the symptoms? Read on…
Foodborne illness is any illness that occurs because of consumption of contaminated food. Food can be contaminated because of bacteria, virus, parasites etc.
Unsafe food can cause up to 200 diseases ranging from diarrhea to cancers.
What are the symptoms?
The symptoms are as follows:
- Abdominal pain
- botulimum and other chemicals cause the following symptoms:
- Blurred vision
- Tingling sensation
What increases the risk?
The below factors increase the risk of foodborne illness:
- Food should be maintained at correct temperature. Holding food at improper temperatures can allow pathogenic bacteria to reproduce rapidly in great numbers. When these foods are consumed, one can get foodborne illnesses.
- Many raw foods have pathogenic bacteria on them. For example salmonella can be found on raw chicken. Cook foods to the optimum temperature and let it stand at that same temperature for at least 15 seconds to eliminate the bacteria. Ground beef and sausage should be heated at 155°C, similarly raw pork, fish, eggs, lamb etc should be cooked at 145°F.
- Utensils should be cleaned before food is cooked or placed in them. If utensils are not cleaned, old food residue can become a breeding ground for bacteria. Hence utensils should be cleaned for every 4 hours.
- When food workers are not in good health, they can transfer their disease to the people who eat food through coughing or sneezing. Hence a food worker should be checked for salmonella, entamoeba histolytica, hepatitis A virus etc. Food workers should wash their hands in the following scenarios:
- Before cooking
- After using restroom
- After sneezing or coughing
- After touching body parts
- After handling raw animal products like raw eggs, raw meat etc.
- After handling money, using pesticides etc
Food workers should wear gloves while cooking and they should change it on a regular basis.
- Foods should be purchased from trusted sources.
Unhealthy food can lead to food poisoning. It can lead to paralysis. Hence, go for healthy food and maintain healthy cooking and eating habits. For more information, consult a dietician online at eVaidya now!
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.