Do you experience recurrent fevers? Did you experience unexpected weight loss? You might be showing signs of leukemia. When left untreated, it can cause kidney failure, infertility etc. Read on to know more about its symptoms…
Leukemia is the cancer of blood cells. The bone marrow produces white blood cells. In people with leukemia, the bone marrow makes lots of abnormal white blood cells known as leukemia cells, which do not function as normal white blood cells. They grow faster when compared to the normal cells.
As time passes, leukemia cells surround normal blood cells, which can lead to anemia, bleeding etc. These cells can infect the lymph nodes and other organs too.
Based on the speed of progression it is of two types:
- Acute leukemia: In this, the abnormal blood cells are immature and they multiply rapidly. Hence people with this disease need aggressive and timely treatment.
- Chronic leukemia: In this, the blood cells are mature and they multiply slowly. Hence people with this disease do not experience symptoms for years.
Based on the type of white blood cell, it is of two types:
- Lymphocytic leukemia: In this, the lymphocytes get affected.
- Myelogenous leukemia: In this, myeloid cells get affected. Myeloid cells are responsible for the production of red blood cells, white blood cells and platelet-producing cells.
Types of leukemia
- Acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL): Generally found in young children, it can also occur in adults.
- Acute myelogenous leukemia (AML): It is the most common type of acute leukemia found in adults. However it can also occur in children.
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL): People having CLL appear to be well for years.
- Chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML): Generally affecting adults, CML doesn’t show any symptoms for months and years and then all of a sudden the leukemia cells multiply rapidly.
What are its symptoms?
The symptoms are:
- Lumps in the neck, armpit or groin
- Recurrent fevers
- Recurrent nosebleeds
- Unexpected weight loss
- Extreme tiredness
- Swelling or pain in the left side of the abdomen
- Bone pain
- Bleeding gums
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- More susceptible to bruising
If you experience any of the above symptoms, consult a hematologist online at eVaidya now.
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.