Do you have a back ache? Do you have a stooping posture? You might develop osteoporosis! Osteoporosis means less bone density. When you have osteoporosis, your bones get brittle and weak. Osteoporosis can lead to fractures. You can protect yourself from osteoporosis when you know its symptoms. What are the symptoms? Read on…
When your bones become weak, you might become more susceptible to fractures. This condition named osteoporosis can be treated in the early stages once you know its symptoms.
You know what?
The bones in your body are not the same now and after a few years. They get replaced by new bones. Old bones break down and new bones rebuild.
When you are young your body builds more bones than it removes. As you grow old, the rate of bone loss increases.
Now, when the bone loss increases, your bone mass and density will decrease which is called as osteoporosis.
Hence you are told from childhood to have calcium. If you have calcium in the right quantity from your young age, you will have more bone in the “bank”. Hence you are less likely to develop osteoporosis.
Osteoporosis is more common in women when compared to men. So all women out there, watch out!
What are the symptoms of osteoporosis?
The symptoms of osteoporosis are as follows:
- Loss of height over time
- Stooped posture
- Bone fracture
What are the risks that make you vulnerable to osteoporosis?
Your risk to develop osteoporosis depends on the following factors:
- Sex: If you are a woman you might have high chances of developing osteoporosis especially after reaching menopause since decrease in estrogen levels leads to osteoporosis.
- Family history: If you have a parent or sibling who has osteoporosis, then you have a high risk of developing osteoporosis.
- Race: If you are a white or an Asian descent then you have high chances of developing osteoporosis.
- Body frame: If you are thin, you will probably have less bone mass density, this might increase your risk for osteoporosis.
- Alcohol: Consumption of alcohol can result in thinning of bones, this can increase your risk for fractures.
- Smoking: Smoking also increases the risk of osteoporosis.
- Certain diseases: Diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis can cause osteoporosis. If your body generates too much of thyroid hormone, you might have bone loss. Osteoporosis can occur when you have overactive adrenal glands.
- Certain medications: Medications like prednisone can cause osteoporosis.
- Dietary factors: You can get osteoporosis when you consume food in good quantity but have low calcium intake since low calcium intake results in low bone density. If you consume less food, you might have less calcium. This can also increase your risk of osteoporosis.
What happens if you ignore osteoporosis?
If you ignore osteoporosis, you might face complications. The complications include fractured bones. When you fracture bones in old age, it will take more time to heal. Bone and spine fractures will give more pain when you have osteoporosis.
Hence if you suffer from any of the symptoms of osteoporosis, consult orthopaedist online at eVaidya now! Sign up and subscribe to the consultation plan now! At eVaidya all the doctors are verified and authenticated by Medical Council of India (MCI). eVaidya offers an user satisfaction rate of 98.3%.
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.