Do you suffer from sleeplessness? You might be consuming the wrong foods at night! These wrong foods can affect your sleep. Sleep is necessary to keep your mind and body healthy. Sleep is essential for a healthy heart. It reduces stress. Sleep helps the body heal. Which foods disturb sleep? Read on…
Sleep is essential for the body. It has various benefits on the body. However certain foods can disturb sleep.
Sleep helps the body repair. It reduces stress and boosts memory. Sleep makes people smart. Sleep is the best alternative to caffeine. It makes people creative. Studies show that people who sleep for less than 8 hours a day are more likely to be overweight or obese. A good night’s sleep will make people active the following day. It will make people mentally alert. Lack of sleep can increase the levels of blood pressure and cholesterol which can lead to heart disease and stroke. Lack of sleep also causes chronic inflammation disorders such as periodontitis, rheumatoid arthritis etc.
Hence for all the above reasons sleep is necessary for the body. Overall sleep makes a body physically and mentally fit.
There are many factors that can disturb your sleep. The factors include using phone, laptops before sleeping, and keeping different sleep schedule on weekends, etc.
One important cause of sleeplessness that most of the people fail to recognize is food. The food that is consumed in the evening time impacts the sleep.
What are the foods that disturb sleep?
The 8 foods that disturb sleep are as follows:
- Coffee: Coffee contains caffeine that can disrupt sleep. The worst time to have coffee is 6 hours before sleep since it can have significant and disruptive effects on sleep. Also avoid any coffee flavoured treats like cappuccino flavoured ice cream before bed time.
- Dark chocolate: Dark chocolate also contains caffeine that can again disrupt sleep. A square or 2 of dark chocolate for the dessert is fine, but an entire bar of dark chocolate can affect your sleep. If you want to eat chocolate, go for the chocolate that contains less percentage of cocoa.
- Alcohol: Though alcohol puts you to sleep, it can affect your 2nd half of sleep. The 2nd half of sleep can be disturbed and may be full of strange dreams which can leave you exhausted the next day.
- Foods that are high fat content: Foods that are high in fat content will make people feel sleepy in the day time. They interrupt the sleep at nights. They cause a feeling of discomfort. Hence it is best to avoid burgers, pizzas, fries etc before bedtime.
- Spicy food: You can get heartburn when you lie down after consuming spicy food. There will be a change in body temperature when a person consumes spicy food. These 2 factors can disturb sleep.
- Grapefruit: Citrus fruits like grapefruit can increase stomach’s acidity. This can disturb sleep.
- Cauliflower: Cauliflower takes time to digest; this means your body needs time to work on it. This can disturb your sleep. Hence avoid cauliflower before bedtime.
- Water: Water and fruits rich in water such as watermelon can make you go to the loo often. This can disturb your sleep. So cut down on water and high-water content foods before bedtime.
Sleep is necessary to make you feel fresh the next day. If you have any more queries regarding the affects of foods on sleep, consult a dietician online at eVaidya now!
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.