Do you suffer from frequent urination? Do you suffer from increased hunger even after having meals? You might be showing signs of diabetes! When left untreated diabetes can lead to nerve damage, kidney damage etc. Type 1 and type 2 diabetes can be treated in many ways. What are they? Read on…
Diabetes is a condition in which a person suffers from high blood sugar levels for prolonged periods.
2 Types of Diabetes
- Type 1 diabetes is a condition wherein the immune system destroys the insulin-producing cells present in the pancreas.
- Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which the cells do not use insulin properly.
Increased thirst, increased urination, and increased hunger even after eating are some of the symptoms of diabetes.
Diabetes can be diagnosed by the help of blood tests. The blood tests can be taken randomly or they can be taken after an overnight fast to know the blood sugar levels.
Treatment for Type 1 Diabetes
In a person suffering from type 1 diabetes, the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas are destroyed. Hence he can go for a pancreas transplant.
Pancreas transplant is a procedure in which a healthy pancreas is placed in the body of a person whose pancreas doesn’t function properly.
The surgeon will give a general anaesthesia to carry out the pancreas transplant. The doctor will monitor the heart rate and blood pressure throughout the procedure. After the person turns unconscious, the doctor will make an incision down the centre of the abdomen. The doctor then places a healthy pancreas and a part of the donor’s small intestine in the lower abdomen. The donor pancreas is connected to blood vessels that supply blood to the legs and the donor intestine is connected either to the small intestine or to the bladder. The damaged pancreas is left in the body to aid digestion.
Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes can be cured with the help of weight loss surgery. Six years after the bariatric surgery, 62% of the people showed no signs of diabetes.
For the person to be an eligible candidate for bariatric surgery, he must satisfy the following conditions:
- BMI should be equal to or greater than 35
- Tried to lose weight by the help of medications, diet changes, exercises but found no success.
If the person suffers from other conditions like heart disease the doctor should get an approval from cardiologist too.
- Types of weight loss surgery
- Gastric bypass surgery: In this surgery, the doctor makes a small pouch by dividing the top of the stomach from the rest of it and the doctor rearranges the small intestine so that when the person eats food, the food goes through the small pouch.
- Gastric sleeve surgery: In this surgery the doctor will remove a large part of the stomach leaving a small part.
- Adjustable gastric sleeve surgery: In this surgery the doctor will put an inflatable band around the top of the stomach. This will create a small pouch.
In the long run, diabetes can damage entire body. It can damage nerves, eyes, kidneys etc. Hence if you experience any of the symptoms of diabetes, consult a endocrinologist online at eVaidya now!
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.