Are you underweight? You are at an increased risk of developing conditions like heart disease, osteoporosis, anemia, etc. Underweight people are 1.8 times more likely to die when compared to people with normal BMI (Body Mass Index). Treating this problem is easy. Read on to know how can it be done?
Generally people are aware of the ill effects of obesity; they fail to notice the complications of being underweight.
A person is said to be underweight when his/her BMI measures less than 18.5. It is caused due to various conditions like hypothyroidism, cancer, diabetes, excessive exercise, stress etc.
Treatment for underweight people
There are three ways to treat this condition:
- Eat smaller meals: Underweight people tend to feel full faster. Hence they should eat 5-6 smaller meals in the day than 2-3 large meals.
- Add calories to your diet in a healthy way: Instead of having chocolates, cakes to put on weight, increase your calcium intake by including nut or seed toppings, cheese etc. Include almonds, sunflower seeds etc. in your diet.
- Eat nutrient-rich food: Instead of having junk food, consume food that is rich in proteins and carbohydrates. Proteins will help you in building muscle. Add brown rice and whole grains to your diet.
- Include smoothies and shakes to your diet: Avoid coffee, diet soda etc. since they have less nutritional value. Instead go for smoothies and shakes made with milk; also sprinkle some flax seed powder. This way you will get various nutrients.
- Balanced diet: Include salmon, peanut butter, whole eggs, butter, tuna, cheese, shrimps, whole wheat bread, raw oats and dried fruits in your diet to gain weight in a healthy way.
- Exercise: Aerobic exercise is a good way to burn calories. Also strength training exercises like weight-lifting, yoga etc. can help you in building muscle.
You can easily balance your weight by consuming these foods and following the above steps. So, it’s worth to give a try! For more information about underweight treatment, you can consult a dietician online at eVaidya now!
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.