Among women breast cancer is the second leading cause for cancer deaths after lung cancer. When left untreated, cancer from breasts can spread to the other parts of the body. Diet can impact the breast cancer risk. There are some foods that increase breast cancer risk. What are they? Read on…
Breast cancer is a cancer that develops in the breast tissue. It can occur in men and women. Lumps in the breast, bloody discharge from nipple, changes in the skin over the breast, swelling in the armpit are some of the signs of breast cancer.
Age, family history, delayed pregnancy, late menopause are some of the factors that increase the risk of breast cancer. Diet plays a major role in breast cancer. Certain foods can increase the risk of breast cancer.
Foods that can increase the risk of breast cancer
- Red meat: Red meat contains amino acids that increase the insulin levels and oxidation in the body which in turn increases the risk of cancer. Hence limit intake of red meat. Take no more than 170 gms a week.
- Processed meats: Processed meats such as bacon, hams etc contain preservatives that cause cancer. Hence reduce the intake of processed meats.
- High-fat dairy: Dairy products that are high in fat content have estrogen. This can cause cancer.
- Sweets: Sweets like desserts; sweetened beverages etc contain high amounts of carbohydrates. This will raise the glucose levels in blood which will force the body to produce insulin. An increase in insulin levels can cause breast cancer.
- Alcohol: Alcohol consumption will increase the risk of breast cancer. Studies say that every drink increases the risk of breast cancer by 11 percent.
However, there are some foods which can lower the risk of breast cancer.
Foods that prevent breast cancer
- Flaxseeds: Flaxseeds contain omega 3 fatty acids and lignans which create a shield around cancer cells. This will keep cancer at bay. Flaxseeds can be consumed as whole seeds in yoghurt or it can be used in the form of flaxseed oil.
- Garlic: Garlic contains allium which will help in preventing cancer. Swallowing a clove of garlic daily in the morning is a good practice to prevent cancer for the entire life.
- Pomegranate: Pomegranates contain poly-phenol which prevents cancer growth. It is especially beneficial for estrogen-related cancers.
- Green leafy vegetables: Spinach and other green leafy vegetables contain chlorophyll and other nutrients which fight the cancer cells.
- Broccoli: Vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower etc contain sulphorophane and indoles that control cell growth.
A person with breast cancer might need to undergo a surgery to remove the breast surgically! Cancer from breast can spread to other parts of body. Hence include such foods in your diet that prevent breast cancer. For more information, consult a dietician online at eVaidya.
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.