Vitamin B12, also known as Cobalamin, named after the metal Cobal available in the nutrient, is a very essential nutrient that a body needs. Vitamin B12 deficiency leads to severe health disorders. This B12 nutrient is needed by the body in the making of DNA and for healthy nerves and blood cells. It prevents from getting attacked with megaloblastic anemia, a type of anemia that leaves the diseased weak and tired. Animal foods like beef, liver, clams, lamb etc are found to be serving very rich amounts of Vitamin B12 and some other foods like milk, and milk products, yogurt, Aloe Vera are some other veggie foods that serve B12 nutrient but in very lower quantities compared to those animal foods.
Here is the in detail info about the Vitamin B12 requirement by age:
|Infants up to 6 months||0.4 mcg|
|Babies between 7 to 12 months||0.5 mcg|
|Children between 1 to 3 years||0.9 mcg|
|Kids between 4 to 8 years||1.2 mcg|
|Children between 9 to 13 years of age||1.8 mcg|
|Teens and Adults||2.4 mcg|
Adults and Teens, as a pregnant are supposed to get 2.6mcg of Cobalamin and those that are breast feeding need 2.8mcg daily in their food.
With all that said about Vitamin B12 importance and the food it’s available in, it’s more important to get to know about the signs of vitamin B12 deficiency along with the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency. So here comes a few important of the signs and symptoms list to have a look at and stay alarmed.
Signs of Vitamin B12 deficiency:
- Fatigue is the first and foremost signs of Vitamin B12 deficiency. But fatigue alone is not the only sign as it may be of various other reasons too.
- Weakness and sluggishness resulting in your body getting tired.
- Strange sensations like pins and needles all through the body along with numbness caused due to nerve damage that is caused mainly by vitamin B12 deficiency.
- Severe memory problems like even unable to write a check.
- Being off – kilter is a regular symptom too. Individuals experiencing the wobbly or dizzy feeling.
- A pale skin that is due to damage of fragile and easily broken red blood cells which release a bilirubin pigment that provides the skin a yellow hue.
- Tongue turns smooth and red because of the loss of those little buds and also many will notice a sore and burning tongue. With taste buds lost and so the tasting sensation.
- Anxiety levels risen to the most making you worried or cry for even very small things that you were never before worried about.
- In severe cases, this Cobalamin deficiency leads to blurry vision, double vision, sensitivity to light, and even the worst, vision loss.
With signs that can be self noticed, below are list of few symptoms that need a doctor to confirm or to at least doubt the vitamin B12 deficiency as cause. But for any reason these symptoms are to be given an importance and doctor suggestion upon noticing.
- Bad or sick stomach
- Weight loss
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Uneven heartbeats
- Personality changes
These are few signs and symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency. Keeping an eye on the bodily and mental changes will keep you safe.
If you have any above symptoms consult a nutritionist online at eVaidya now!
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.