Are you suffering from diarrhea with blood and abdominal pain? You might have ulcerative colitis! Ulcerative colitis causes ulcers and inflammation in the large intestine. If left untreated, you have high chances of developing colon cancer. If you have ulcerative colitis, certain foods will reduce your pain. What are they? Read on…
Have you experienced diarrhea with rectal bleeding and belly pain? You might have gone for a checkup when your doctor might have diagnosed and confirmed an ulcerative colitis. Ulcerative colitis is harmful to your large intestine. However, you can change your diet to control your disease.
What is ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease that is characterized by inflammation and ulcers in the large intestine.
What are the symptoms of ulcerative colitis?
You might have ulcerative colitis if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Diarrhea with blood
- Abdominal pain or cramping
- Inability to defecate even when you have the urgency to defecate
- Weight loss
If you also have fever, it means your disease has become serious.
The exact cause for ulcerative colitis is unknown. When your immune system is fighting against invading bacteria or virus, it might attack the cells in your digestive tract that might cause ulcerative colitis. Your doctor will carry out the diagnosis through a blood test, urinalysis, stool culture, X-ray etc.
Ulcerative colitis can be cured by drugs. Serious cases need a surgery. Ulcerative disease affects many parts outside the intestinal tract. In rare cases, the colon might have to be removed.
However you can reduce the ill effects of ulcerative colitis by making changes in your diet. How?
FOODS YOU SHOULD EAT WHEN YOU HAVE ULCERATIVE COLITIS
Diarrhea might make you feel exhausted but you should stick to some points to reduce the ill effects of ulcerative colitis. The points are as follows:
- Have a balanced diet.
- When you have bleeding ulcers and bloody diarrhea you can become anemic. Hence you should consume food rich in iron. What are the foods you can consume? You can have lean meat and fish.
- You should hydrate yourself often since diarrhea removes water from your body. When you can’t handle solids go for smoothies.
- Inflammatory bowel diseases can lead to bone loss. Hence if your health supports you, have dairy foods like yoghurt, almond milk etc.
- Raw fruits and vegetables, whole grains and nuts are harder to digest. Hence avoid them. An easy option is to peel the fruits and vegetables and consume.
- Foods like cauliflower and beans cause gas, they might be hard to digest and may even lead to cramps and diarrhea. Hence avoid them.
- When you have ulcerative colitis, skip the 3 meal-a-day habit! Try to eat 5-6 meals a day. When you eat meals that are less in quantity many times, your body will get more time to digest smaller meals. Hence it will ease up the digestion and you will experience less pain.
If you suffer from any of the symptoms of ulcerative colitis, consult a surgeon gastroenterologist at eVaidya now! If you neglect ulcerative colitis now, you might be at an increased risk of colon cancer. Hence get your ulcerative colitis cured immediately with gastroenterologist consultation.
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.