Do you suffer from severe pain in your heart? You might need an MRI! MRI is a simple procedure that will create images of the internal structures of the body. It is simple and it has great benefits. Generally it is painless procedure. What else can be diagnosed from an MRI? Read on…
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) is a diagnostic procedure that uses magnetic energy and radio waves to make detailed images of the internal structures of the body.
When will the doctor suggest you an MRI?
The doctor will suggest you an MRI to find problems such as tumors, injury, bleeding, infection etc. When details of your condition cannot be known by X-ray, ultrasound scan or CT scan, your doctor will suggest you an MRI scan. To view a part of your body very clearly the doctor might use a contrast material.
The MRI is performed on the following body parts:
- Head: The doctor can perform an MRI for the head to detect tumors, bleeding, nerve injury etc in the brain. An MRI can be carried out to find problems in the eyes, optic nerves, ears etc.
- Chest: The doctor can perform MRI of the chest to find out problems in heart, valves, lungs etc. MRI can be used to look into breast cancer.
- Blood vessels: Magnetic Resonance Angiography is an MRI that is used to look into the flow of blood in the blood vessels. It is helpful in finding the problems in the arteries and veins. The problems can be blocked blood vessel, torn lining of blood vessel etc.
- Spine: The doctor can perform an MRI to look into problems like spinal tumors, disc bulges, spinal stenosis etc.
- Abdomen and pelvis: The doctor can perform MRI to check for problems in liver, gallbladder, pancreas, kidneys and bladder. It can find conditions like tumors, bleeding etc. In women, MRI can find out problems in uterus and ovaries. MRI can find out problems in prostate for men.
- Bones and joints: The doctor can perform an MRI to check for problems in bone marrow, ligaments, temporomandibular joint etc. MRI can also check for fractures in bones.
What are the benefits of MRI?
The benefits of MRI scan are as follows:
- MRI gives extremely clear images of soft tissues in the body.
- Generally MRI’s are painless in nature.
- MRI’s don’t use radiation and so they are suitable for children and pregnant women.
- The contrasting agent used in MRI is less likely to cause allergic reaction.
To take a second opinion on MRI, consult a radiologist online at eVaidya now.
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.