A CT scan is a procedure that takes many X-rays to give details about problems in the internal structures of the body. It can give details about tumors. What are the other problems that can be detected by a CT scan? Read on…
In some unfaithful conditions, people may get some diseases. The cause of the disease won’t be known unless and until a CT scan is performed. CT scan is carried out to know various conditions.
What is a CT scan?
A CT scan or Computed Tomography scan is a procedure in which X-rays are taken from various angles. Through computer processing cross-sectional images are created that will give a detailed view of the internal structures of the body.
You know what?
Since CT scan takes cross sectional images of the internal structures of the body, it can detect something as small as the size of a grain.
When will a doctor suggest a CT scan?
The doctor will suggest a CT scan in the following conditions:
- Arm or leg: A CT scan is used to know any problem in the elbow, shoulder, wrist, hip, hand, knee, ankle, or feet.
- Abdomen: A CT scan on the abdomen is used to find out tumors, infection, pus, cysts, enlarged lymph nodes, foreign objects, bleeding in belly, appendicitis, inflammatory bowel disease etc.
- Chest: A CT scan on the chest is used to look into the problems of lungs, heart, esophagus etc. It can also give us details of the problems in aorta. A CT scan can find a pulmonary embolism, an aneurysm, infection and lung cancer in the chest region. The doctor can also find out if the cancer has spread from other parts of the body into the chest.
- Pelvis: A CT scan of the pelvis will give details of problems in uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries in women. When it comes to a man the doctor will be able to find out problems in seminal vesicles and prostate gland.
- Urinary tract: A CT scan of the urinary tract is called as CT KUB or CT urogram. A CT urogram can give the doctor details about kidney stones, bladder stones, blockage of urinary tract etc.
- Liver: A CT scan on the liver can give details about liver tumors, liver diseases, bleeding from liver etc. It can determine the cause of jaundice.
- Adrenal glands: A CT scan on the liver lets your doctor know about tumors or enlarged adrenal glands.
- Gallbladder and bile ducts: A CT scan on the gallbladder and bile ducts will give details about gallstones and blockage of the bile ducts.
- Pancreas: A CT scan on the pancreas is used to find out tumor in the pancreas and inflammation of the pancreas.
- Spleen: A CT scan of the spleen is used to find out the conditions like tumors in spleen, enlarged spleen etc.
Hence a CT scan is used to find various problems in a human body.
If your doctor has suggested you a CT scan, Consult general medicine doctors online for second opinion on CT scan at eVaidya. Sign up and subscribe for a consultation plan now! At eVaidya, all the doctors are verified and authenticated by the Medical Council of India (MCI). eVaidya offers a user satisfaction rate of 98.3%.
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.