Donating blood once in six months is a good deed to mankind. Blood donation can save the lives of the people who are in need. It will take an hour’s time. Blood donation has great benefits too. It promotes weight loss. What are the other benefits of blood donation? Read on…
An average human body has five litres of blood. Adequate amount of blood is necessary for the body to function well. Blood carries oxygen, nutrients and hormones to the cells. It provides immunity, maintains body temperature and helps in blood clotting process. Hence, blood is essential for a healthy body.
People tend to lose blood due to accidents, surgeries etc. They require blood. Hence donate blood today!
During a single sitting, 350-450 ml of blood will be withdrawn. Donated blood is checked for unhealthy pathogens; its blood type is also checked.
Who can donate blood?
A person, who satisfies the following conditions, is considered fit for blood donation:
- Between 18-55 years of age
- At least 50 kg in weight
- People who are suffering from hepatitis, malaria, measles, mumps and syphilis can donate blood only after they recover with a 3-6 months gap
- People who underwent surgery or blood transfusion should donate blood after 6-12 months
- Normal pulse rate and blood pressure
- Normal body temperature
A person should not donate blood in the following scenarios:
- Suffering from epilepsy, psychotic disorders, abnormal bleeding tendencies, severe asthma, cardiovascular diseases, cancer etc.
- Pregnant or lactating women
A person should get enough sleep the night before he plans to donate. He/she should have a balanced diet and should drink plenty of water and fluids before donating the blood.
During the procedure, the person will sit or lie on a reclining chair with the arm on the armrest. A blood pressure cuff or tourniquet is placed around the upper arm so as to fill more blood in the veins. A sterile needle is inserted in the vein. This needle is attached to a blood bag that will collect the blood.
Why is it important to donate blood?
- Saves lives: It will give you a feeling of happiness since one round of blood donation can save three to four individual lives.
- Free check up: You will get a free check up. Your doctor will check your blood pressure. After you donate your blood, the blood will be tested for certain infections. You can choose to be informed if your doctor found an abnormality.
- Reduces the risk of heart disease: Blood donation helps get rid of the excess iron in the body. This will reduce the risk of heart disease. Excess iron leads to oxidative damage which can cause heart attacks. According to a study, blood donors are 33% less likely to get a heart attack
- Promotes weight loss: You lose 650 Kcal when you donate blood. This promotes weight loss. However you can donate blood once in three months. This will depend on your health and blood hemoglobin and iron levels
- Reduces the risk of cancer: High levels of iron in the body can lead to cancer. Donating blood will remove excess iron from the body, which in turn reduces the risk of cancer.
If you are healthy, donate blood now! You can save a life! For more information, consult a family practice doctor online at eVaidya now!
Need a Online Doctor? Check out Online Doctor Services.